Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Inappropriate Age Gap

Today I had my first cougar moment. Now, I do believe that I am still too young at thirty to have real cougar moments, but this is definitely as close as I have ever come.

To begin with, there is nothing about young men that I find attractive - so I am shocked that this even happened! If I stop to give a young man a thought, it is usually along the lines of 'awww...aren't you cute?' Kind of like they are overgrown puppies hopped up on testosterone and machismo. Physically, I like my men to be men. Fully filled out, stocky, throw me over their shoulder.....if I were about thirty pounds lighter of course....but you get the point. I want a man with some meat on his bones. With their breakable, skinny limbs, narrow ribcages and cherub faces, younger men just don't do it for me. With that said....

Today was name tag day in church. Every few months or so, at Holy Trinity they have us wear name tags so we can meet some of the people around us. The idea being that you see all these people all the time - why don't you make friends? So to start off Mass, the priest has us turn to our neighbors and introduce each other. I had vaguely registered that a group of younger kids had sat behind us so I turned around to shake hands with this kid who was probably about twenty at the oldest. More likely 18 or 19. Again, my thought was 'hello cute puppy.' Then he introduced himself in a voice that could make serious money working the phones as an phone sex operator. You know what I mean here - the kind of deep, sexy voice that makes your ovaries wake up and dance. The kind of gravelly voice that makes you immediately stop and offer up a prayer of thanksgiving that you are a woman. That kind of voice. How is it possible that this kid had a voice like THAT??? So for the first half of Mass I sat there and wondered if he really wasn't that young, maybe I just initially misjudged his age at first? After all, this happens to me all time - people always think I am younger than I am. (By the way, thank you God for that - I really appreciate it!) Unfortunately, my initial opinion was correct though - young puppy. I just couldn't look at him and think anything else. Maybe I will just have to call him every now and then and let him tell me a bedtime story.....

1 comment: