Monday, January 18, 2010

Chet

I have a short, mildly amusing story to share. I just posted a blog about a week ago about how dating is dead. If you haven't read it, then this post won't be half as funny so go back and read that one. (I'm waaaaaaiiiiiting.)

OK. Up to this point my blog has featured mainly stories from my past, littered with a few current stories about almost-strangers, people that I don't interact with on a regular basis. It has been fairly easy for me to say exactly what I want to say without worrying about what anyone would think of it. So I have been able to pretty accurately portray my life without having to really censor anything. And I like that about my blog. I like that I can sit her in my pjs and share with you - and that you can know that what I am saying is the straight up truth, exactly how it is said. It is important to me that you come on this journey with me as I go, BUT....

I had a date this weekend. Actually several semi-dates all kind of strung together all weekend with the same man. I had such a great time and I would love to dish to you all the juicy stuff BUT...

He reads my blog. (hi baby!) I have to admit that I never thought this situation would pop up really. I never expected to have this many people reading my blog at all actually. So my hands are slightly tied. It would give him unfair power in a new romance if he could read everything that I thought about him and I just can't bring myself to do it. Also, I am uncertain about his level of excitement about being in my blog on display for all of you. It is one thing for me to throw my whole life and psyche open for all of you - it is completely another to drag someone else into it. So I am going to aim for middle ground here. You will just need to be satisfied with the bare bones of my adventure here and the occasional funny story.

To follow my blog standards of semi-privacy, we are going to give him a funny alias. I picked Chet. (For the record, I did offer to let him pick his own but he is apparently happy with Chet - either that or he is merely humoring me.) Here are your bare bones facts. Chet and I have known each other for a long time. So I didn't meet him at an online site or pick him up in a bar or find him in line at the grocery store. For the most part, he knows me fairly well. He is acquainted with the majority of my baggage, has seen me at the worst of my post divorce moments, and still apparently wants to date me anyway. He is extremely clever, has a ridiculously gorgeous smile, and likes my family. He also meets my great shoulder requirement - which is obviously most important. I confess to being slightly smitten.

And here is the funny part. He completely acted on every bad dating principle that I mentioned in my previous blog to get us to this point. He social networked or texted me to get together, he bought me drinks and let me get frisky, he asked me out for a group setting that ended up being date-like. I spent all that time creating that blog to show men the right way to do it, he completely ignores it....and it works because here I am. If he ends up sticking around after I have tossed him into my blog then maybe I will have to go revise that previous blog. Or at least add that there are exceptions to my rules.

5 comments:

  1. Chet will be sticking around and says he will not read the blogs, because he doesn't want an unfair advantage (even though he doesnt need it)

    Chet says enjoy the blogs, and hope you don't find out the wrong stuff about me : )JK I hope I bring joy to many....

    Chet------

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously...Chet...Seriously??? He is definately too cute to be a "Chet". Steph, I have verbalized to you why that name is rather icky, but why not something like "Chip" or "Charlie" those at least have some potential. :) I also would like to know why "Chet" gets and alias yet the rest of us are fully exposed...Em, you drunkin sailor you, are you feeling a little jaded? heehee. I loved meeting you the the other night Chet! Next time we hope to meet you over tenderloin and wine at our house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. o lord! this has some funny potential! and jen, there are chips & charlies that bring on the vomitus at the back of my throat...i want to be lola...chet you better be good...;)
    ~em

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol...I don't even know where to start with all this!

    1. Very cute Chet. :)

    2. Jen, Em is right about Chip and Charlie - no good. Also, the point of aliases is to be funny, not normal. And I could have given Em an alias but everyone would have known who she was anyway. If you really want one for yourself then I will give you one :)

    3. Emily - Lola? Susie and Andy named a puppy that once, no can do. And thanks for caring enough to threaten Chet, even though it was unnecessary - I love you too.

    ReplyDelete