Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The End.

Welcome to the season finale of Divorce Isn't For Sissies. In a shocking and abrupt plot twist, I am killing myself off. I know, I know...right now all you can think is "how is she going to carry on the blog for season two without herself?" I feel like Shonda Rimes right now. (who is supposedly killing off a major character on Private Practice next month?!? I am praying for Naomi, but fear that it is Pete. Sad, sad day) Unlike Shonda, I will be slightly more talkative regarding my reasoning and provide you with a little tiny bit of insight before dangling season two in front of you with an appropriate amount of mystery.

To put it most simply, I have outgrown my post-divorce rantings. Divorce remains one of the ugliest things to have touched my life and by no means am I saying that it is any less awful. But at some point in life the best thing to do with the ugly is to leave it behind and that is what I am going to do now. Sharing my journey with you when I was dating was fun - I got to mix my current stories up with my funny older stories. It was also cathartic. I benefited from sharing with you and seeing my stories through your eyes. Lately I have had to dig deep to find real angst to fuel new divorce stories though. I have pretty much run through my supply of bitter and bitchy.

I knew that it was time to end this particular blog topic after I finished spring cleaning my closet. In my closet is a hoard of sentimental, meant-to-someday-be-scrapbooked material that I hang on to like it is essential to my being. Like I will forget all my memories if I can't reach out and touch them from time to time. And by hoard, I mean....lots. Hallmark cards, vacation photos, my wedding album, old letters, dried flowers, movie date ticket stubs.....all of it. Boxes of it. And here is what I did with it all yesterday. I threw it away. All of it. I didn't keep one thing from any past relationship. And it felt.....amazing. Like I cut all the strings were left dangling from the past. Looking at all that empty, available shelf space made me feel free. All I can see is the future now - and I am so excited to explore that future with Chet that it leaves me with no room for my past.

So sadly, my semi-bitchy ranting on divorce has to come to an end. Season One. Complete. However, I love to write too much to quit blogging altogether. For any of you that want to still follow the random-ness that is my life - just send me your email address or post it on here somewhere and I will make sure to include you when I come up with an appropriate new blog title. (which I am taking suggestions for by the way) My blog, season two, is still working itself out - but I promise it will be just as irreverent and interesting as this one - only without all the divorce stories. Hopefully I should have it put together in May. Thank you all for everything - I have loved sharing this part of my life with you. I will leave you with these words of wisdom....

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

No comments:

Post a Comment